Manuka honey – natural ingredients for naturally healthy skin
Various types of honey are the trendiest ingredients being used not only as food but actively incorporated in skincare, spa and food supplements. Today we are talking about manuka honey and it’s benefits and I couldn’t help but wonder if this type of honey is healthier than regular honey? Let’s find out!
First of all, we should understand what manuka means – Manuka honey is a type of honey originated in New Zealand. It’s produced by bees who pollinate the flower known as the manuka bush. The difference between manuka and normal honey is that it contains hydrogen peroxide, which gives it an even greater antibacterial power than other kinds of honey. Additionally, manuka honey has antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. It’s been used for wound healing, soothing sore throats, preventing tooth decay and improving digestive issues.
Components of Manuka Honey
- Hydrogen Peroxide – This ingredient is found in all types of honey. It gives antibiotic qualities.
- Methylglyoxal (MG) – This component is found in other types of honey but only in small quantities. In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound, known as dihydroxyacetone, which is found at a high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the manuka honey’s antibiotic effect.
- Vitamins & Minerals – Manuka honey is filled to the brim with vitamins and minerals that are necessary for a healthy functioning body. It is said to contain 4 times the mineral content of regular honey!
Beauty benefits of manuka honey
- Treats skin inflammatory conditions
Due to its healing property, it reduces inflammation, fights skin irritating microbes and soothes irritated skin. Use a manuka honey mask every other day and you’ll see big changes.
- Brightens the skin
It will lighten up your skin because of its high hydrogen peroxide content. Try this Andalou Naturals, Glycolic Mask, Pumpkin.
- Treats acne
Manuka honey is a go-to when it comes to getting rid of annoying pimples, acne and scars due to its powerful antibacterial substance and anti-inflammatory properties mentioned above.
- For glowing skin
Use manuka honey toner everyday to improve dull skin and overall glow.
- Heals chapped lips
Manuka honey is a savior when it comes to treating dried lips, hands and healing the skin tissue faster.
- Treats wounds and infections.
Medical grade honey, used by healthcare professionals as part of a wound dressing, can help some kinds of wounds to heal.
Is Manuka honey safe for everybody?
Manuka honey is safe to consume for the majority of people over the age of two. Nevertheless, people with diabetes and those allergic to bees or other types of honey should talk to their healthcare provider before using it.
Where to buy Manuka Honey?
When buying Manuka honey from the store, look for the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) mark. This means the honey has been produced by one of the 100+ beekeepers, producers, and exporters licensed by the UMF Honey Association. The number displayed next to the UMF mark represents the quantity of Manuka key markers, leptosperin, DHA and MGO. Choose UMF 10+ and above. The UMF factor is like SPF factor on sunscreens, the higher the number the better. Before buying remember that Manuka bush grows exclusively in New Zealand so choose the honey made in New Zealand only.
That’s all for today, hope you enjoyed this article and I would love to read your suggestions in the comment’s section below. ‘Till next time, stay brave & confident! XO